The Area Health Education Centers (AHEC) program was developed by Congress in 1971 to recruit, train and retain a health professions workforce committed to underserved populations. The AHEC program helps bring the resources of academic medicine to address local community health needs. WV AHEC addresses disparities in rural health and encourages cooperation between the community and the providers of rural health
- WVU Institute for Community and Rural Health
- The WV Bureau for Public Health
- WV Higher Education Policy Commission
- 5 Regional Centers.
- 743 rural field faculty practitioners.
- 456 training sites, 112 of which are located in Health Professions Shortage Areas (HPSAs), Medically Underserved Areas (MUAs), or serve primarily underserved populations.