About AWIS National
The Association for Women in Science (AWIS) is the largest multi-discipline organization for women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) dedicated to achieving equity and full participation of women in all disciplines and across all employment sectors. AWIS reaches more than 15,000 professionals in STEM with members and chapters nationwide. Membership is open to any individual who supports the vision and mission of AWIS.
About AWIS West Virginia Chapter
The goal of AWIS is to achieve equity and full participation of women in science, technology, and engineering. The strength of AWIS depends upon our members, whether you are independent or belong to a chapter. Together we can make the road smoother for our daughters and other young women who seek careers in science. Although the climate for women has been improving, women in science and technology-based jobs, whether in academia or industry, are paid about 70% of what their male colleagues are paid; are twice as likely to be on non-tenure track positions; and seldom rise to high level leadership and policy-making levels. In short, both the educational and work experience of women need improvement.
WV AWIS Chapter Activities
- Networking with women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) throughout West Virginia on our listserv
- Presenting an event with hands-on workshops for middle school students at a different location in the state each Spring
- Working with students in the WVU student chapter
- Hosting women in STEM visitors
- Monthly informal lunch meetings