WVAHEC and WVUICRH Community Preceptors Faculty Development Site
- up to 3.5 hours CME, up to 3.9 Nursing Contact Hours, up to 3.25 ADA CERP dentistry credits.
- Credit Fee
- Free to WVU Faculty and Field Faculty / $20 per module for external participants
- Target Audience
- This course is suitable for medicine, nursing, and dentistry preceptors (field faculty) located in community health centers, free clinics, private practices, medical clinics, group practices, etc.
Following completion of this web course, participants should be able to:
- Recognize the advantages of IPE and collaborative practice
- Describe the four Interprofessional competencies developed by the WVU IPE Workgroup
- Recognize the barriers and challenges to IPE in practice (ex. Preceptor’s time)
Setting Expectations for the Rotation
- Define the job description and role of preceptors in health sciences education
- Examine the core values of a preceptor and discuss the best and worst characteristics of preceptors
- Describe how to evaluate rotation goals and objectives
- Identify ways to create elements of effective rotations
- Examine specific student issues on experimental rotations
- Recognize the importance of feedback as part of any educational endeavor and in improving learning experiences
- Identify differences between feedback and evaluation
- Discuss methods of effective feedback in clinical settings
- Discuss the importance of clinical teaching in the health professions and strategies for improving teaching in clinical settings
- Identify opportunities and challenges of clinical teaching
Instructions: Participants who are not WVU Faculty or Staff: you will fill out your name, email address, and phone number and SOLE will automatically email you a password. Check your spam and junk box, as the password email is occasionally marked junk or spam. Once you have your password, you will log in at http://sole.hsc.wvu.edu with your full email address (i.e. email@example.com) and the password from the email.