Richard Crout, DMD, PhD
Professor Emeritus, Department of Periodontics, WVU School of Dentistry
DMD & PhD, Pharmacology, University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine
Multidisciplinary approaches to oral health disparities, 3D ultrasonic imaging for periodontal disease detection, evaluating immuunomodulation in the treatment of periodontal disease, relationship of oral disease to cognitive functioning in the elderly, oral health integration into the health sciences
He was Professor of Pharmacology at the WVU School of Medicine and Professor of Periodontics and most recently Associate Dean for Research at the WVU School of Dentistry. He currently is a professor emeritus in the Department of Periodontics. He has over 80 publications and book chapters, over 300 abstracts and 5 patents. He has had continuous NIH founding for 14 years. His area of research interest includes: dental pharmacology and oral health disparities. He continues as an NIH consultant.
- McNeil, D. W., Crout, R. J., & Marazita, M. L. (2012). Oral health in Appalachia. In R. L. Ludke & P. J. Obermiller (Eds.), Appalachian health and well-being (pp. 275-294). Lexington: University Press of Kentucky
- Neiswanger, K., McNeil, D. W., Foxman, B., Govil, M., Cooper, M. E., Weyant,R.J., Shaffer, J. R., Crout, R. J., Simhan, H. N., Beach, S.R., Chapman. S, Zovko, J. G., Brown, L. J., Strotmeyer, S. J., Maurer, J. L., & Marazita, M. L. (2015). Oral health in a sample of pregnant women from northern Appalachia (2011- 2015). International Journal of Dentistry,1-12.
- Wang, X. J., Shaffer, J. R., Weyant, R. J., Cuenco, T. K., DeSensi, R. S., Crout, R., McNeil, D. W., Marazita, M. L. (2010). Genes and their effects on dental caries (tooth decay) may differ between primary and permanent dentitions. Caries Research, 44, 277-284. , doi: 10.1159/000314676, 2010. [PMID: 20516689; PMCID: PMC2919434]
- Foxman B, Srinivasan U, Wen A, ZhangL, Marrs CF, Goldberg D, Weyant R, McNeil D. W., Crout, R. J., & Marazita, M. L. (2014). Exploring the effect of dentition, dental decay and familiality on oral health using metabolomics. Infection, Genetics and Evolution. doi:pii: S1567-1348(13)00361-4.
- Frisbee, S.J., Chambers, C.B., Frisbee, J.C., Goodwill, A.G, and Crout, R.J. (2010) Self-reported dental hygiene, obesity, and systemic inflammation in a pediatric rural community cohort. BMC Oral Health. 10:21.doi:10.1186/1472-6831-1021.
Phone: (304) 685-2802