Linda Vona-Davis, PhD
Director, Biomedical Master of Science in Health Sciences
Teaching Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery & WVU Cancer Institute
PhD, West Virginia University
Obesity and the risk and progression of breast cancer, biological factors that contribute to obesity-induced dysregulation of adipocyte-tumor cell interactions, clinically relevant inflammatory targets underlying the risk of obesity and breast cancer
My population interests are related to obesity and triple-negative breast cancer in underserved populations. We have worked to understand breast cancer pathology, receptor status, and patterns of metastasis in Appalachia. More recently I have developed strong ties with providers in the cancer center that made it possible to recruit and track breast cancer survivors in a randomized trial where we studied the impact of lifestyle changes through diet and physical activity.
For over a decade, my experimental laboratory work has focused on obesity-related adipokines as mediators of breast and prostate cancer progression. Our lab has developed expertise using in vivo mouse models of mammary cancer (transgenic, diet-induced obesity models), to study how adipose tissue influences the metastatic potential of tumors. More recently, we have developed an interest in adipocyte biology and how cytokines and adipokines elaborated from adipose influence the breast tumor microenvironment in obesity. Our population interests are related to obesity and triple-negative breast cancer in underserved populations.
- Rose DP, Vona-Davis L. Adipokines as endocrine, paracrine, and autocrine factor in breast cancer risk and progression. Endocr Relat Cancer 2007;Jun;14(2):189-206. Free article available: PMID:17639037.
- Vona-Davis L, Rose DP, Hazard HW, Howard-McNatt M, Adkins FC, Partin J, Hobbs GR. Triple-negative breast cancer and obesity in a rural Appalachian population. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2008;17(12):3319-24. Free article available: PMID:19064545.
- Vona-Davis L, Rose DP, Gadiyaram V, Ducatman B, Hobbs G, Hazard H, Kurian S, Abraham J. Breast cancer pathology, receptor status, and patterns of metastasis in a rural Appalachian population. J Cancer Epidemiol. 2014;170634. Free article available PMID:24527034.
- Swisher AK, Abraham J, Bonner D, Gilleland D, Hobbs G, Kurian S, Yanosik A, Vona-Davis L. Exercise and dietary advice intervention for survivors of triple-negative breast cancer: Effect on body fat, physical function, quality of life and adipokine profile. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2015; Oct 23(10):2995-3003. PMID:2572449.
- Cowen S, McLaughlin SL, Hobbs G, Coad J, Martin KH, Olfert IM, Vona-Davis L. High-fat, high-calorie diet enhances mammary carcinogenesis and local inflammation in MMTV-PyMT mouse model of breast Cancer. Cancers. 2015;7(3):1125-1142: PMID:26132316.
Phone: (304) 293-1280