Dental Student Scholarship Program
Who is eligible?
- Fourth year West Virginia University School of Dentistry students that intend to practice dentistry in West Virginia.
Obligation to Practice in West Virginia:
- Scholarship recipients receive $50,000 for a two year of commitment
- Students who are awarded a scholarship must sign a contract and practice full-time (32-40 hours per week) for a minimum of one year at an eligible site located in a Dental Health Professions Shortage Area (HPSA) in West Virginia.
- To locate Dental Health HPSAs, go to the HPSA Find website, select West Virginia as the state/territory, then choose the county or counties in which you are interested.
- Check the "Dental Health" box in the "Narrow by HPSA discipline(s):" section and click the "Search>>" button.
- If you have any questions about dental HPSA sites, please contact Dr. Meckstroth or the WVU Institute for Community and Rural Health.
- Students are responsible for locating a practice site and must agree to provide oral health services to West Virginia Medicaid and CHIP recipients.
- Failing to fulfill the service obligation results in repayment of the scholarship with interest.
Scholarship application packets include student application, two recommendation forms and Certification of Education Status. The 2016 scholarship application is not closed. Awards will be made by March 2016. The following materials are part of the application:
- Dental Scholarship Program Student Application
- Recommendation Form
- Certification of Educational Status Form
Dental Scholarships are awarded through a competitive process, so please provide complete information. Scholarship packets should include your completed application form, two recommendation forms and the Certification of Education Status form. You may attach additional pages if needed.
Eligibility for Other Financial Incentives:
Students who are awarded a Dental Scholarship also may qualify for other financial incentives for rural practice in West Virginia. In some cases, the service obligations can be met concurrently.