Dental Student Scholarship Program
Who is eligible?
- Fourth year West Virginia University School of Dentistry students that intend to practice dentistry in West Virginia.
Obligation to Practice in West Virginia:
- Scholarship recipients receive $50,000 for a two year of commitment
- Students who are awarded a scholarship must sign a contract and practice full-time (32-40 hours per week) for a minimum of one year at an eligible site located in a Dental Health Professions Shortage Area (HPSA) in West Virginia.
- To locate Dental Health HPSAs, go to the HPSA Find website, select West Virginia as the state/territory, then choose the county or counties in which you are interested.
- Check the "Dental Health" box in the "Narrow by HPSA discipline(s):" section and click the "Search>>" button.
- If you have any questions about dental HPSA sites, please contact Dr. Meckstroth or the WVU Institute for Community and Rural Health.
- Students are responsible for locating a practice site and must agree to provide oral health services to West Virginia Medicaid and CHIP recipients.
- Failing to fulfill the service obligation results in repayment of the scholarship with interest.
Scholarship application packets include student application, two recommendation forms and Certification of Education Status. The 2017 scholarship application is now closed. Awards will be made by March 2017.
Eligibility for Other Financial Incentives:
Students who are awarded a Dental Scholarship also may qualify for other financial incentives for rural practice in West Virginia. In some cases, the service obligations can be met concurrently.