Valery Khramtsov, Ph.D.
Dr. Khramtsov devoted more than 30 years of his research to the development of paramagnetic probes and non-invasive magnetic resonance methods for measurement of various physiologically relevant parameters. As a first or senior author he pioneered paramagnetic probes and corresponding approaches for measurement of pH, glutathione, and probes of dual and multiple functionality. His labs actively develop EPR-based approaches for in vivo multifunctional monitoring of tissue microenvironment in preclinical and potentially in clinical settings, including enhancement in functionality of in vivo imaging techniques such as low-field EPR imaging and proton-electron-double-resonance imaging (PEDRI, also termed Overhauser-enhanced MRI).
The sphere of interest:
Current focus of his research is development of innovative magnetic resonance technologies and applications to multifunctional in vivo tissue analysis in various animal models of disease such as cancer and ischemic heart disease. In particular, Dr. Khramtsov is interested in investigation of the role of tumor microenvironment (TME) in tumorigenesis that may provide new directions for TME-targeted anticancer therapy.
- Khramtsov VV. and Gillies RJ. 2014, "Janus-faced tumor micronvironment and redox”, Antioxid. Redox Signaling, 21, 723–729.
- Bobko AA; Dhimitruka I; Zweier JL; Khramtsov VV., "Fourier Transform EPR of Trityl Radicals for Multifunctional Assessment of Chemical Microenvironment". Angew. Chem. Int. Edit. 2014, 53, 2735-2738.
- Samouilov A; Efimova OV; Bobko AA; Sun Z; Petryakov S; Eubank TD; Trofimov DG; Kirilyuk IA; Grigor’ev IA; Takahashi W; Zweier JL; Khramtsov VV, 2014, "In Vivo Proton-Electron Double-Resonance Imaging of Extracellular Tumor pH Using an Advanced Nitroxide Probe", Analyt. Chem., 86 (2), 1045–1052.
- Dhimitruka I; Bobko AA; Eubank TD; Komarov DA; Khramtsov VV. "Phosphonated Trityl Probe for Concurrent In Vivo Tissue Oxygen and pH Monitoring Using EPR-based Techniques". J Am Chem Soc 2013, 135, 5904−5910.
- Khramtsov VV. 2012, In vivo Spectroscopy and Imaging of Nitroxide Probes. In: Nitroxides - Theory, Experiment and Applications, Edited by A.I. Kokorin, InTech: Rijeka, Croatia, pp. 317-346.
- Khramtsov VV and Komarov DA. 2011. Nanospin Probes and Applications to Cardiology. In Nanomedicine and the Cardiovascular System. Edited by R.J. Hunter and V.R. Preedy. Enfield, NH, USA: Science Publishers and CRC Press, 200-220.
- Khramtsov VV and Zweier J.L. 2010. Functional in vivo EPR Spectroscopy and Imaging Using Nitroxide and Trityl Radicals. In Stable Radicals: Fundamentals and Applied Aspects of Odd-Electron Compounds. Edited by Robin Hicks. New York, NY: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. 537-566.