Geri Dino, PhD
Director, WVU Prevention Research Center
Core Chair, Community Engagement and Outreach, WV Clinical and Translational Science Institute
Professor, Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, WVU School of Public Health
PhD, Psychology, Kansas State University
Community-based participatory research, adolescent smoking cessation, practice-based research
Geri builds alliances and leads missions to conduct and translate community-engaged research that address chronic disease health disparities. She was instrumental in initiating the WV Practice-Based Research network, a group of primary care providers who collaborate to conduct clinic-based research that improves patient health and transforms clinical practice. She used community-based participatory research (CBPR) approaches to develop, evaluate, and disseminate the Not On Tobacco (N-O-T) adolescent smoking cessation program, which has been adopted and disseminated by the American Lung Association. She serves as an advisor on community engaged research in WV and nationally.
- Horn K, Jarrett T, Anesetti-Rothermel A, O'Hara Tompkins N, Dino G. Developing a Dissemination Model to Improve Intervention Reach among West Virginia Youth Smokers.Front Public Health. 2014 Aug 1;2:101. doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2014.00101. eCollection 2014. PubMed PMID: 25136547; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4117930.
- Horn K, Branstetter S, Zhang J, Jarrett T, Tompkins NO, Anesetti-Rothermel A, Olfert M, Richards T, Dino G. Understanding physical activity outcomes as a function of teen smoking cessation.J Adolesc Health. 2013 Jul;53(1):125-31. doi: 10.1016/j.jadohealth.2013.01.019. Epub 2013 Apr 9. PubMed PMID: 23578440.
- Branstetter SA, Blosnich J, Dino G, Nolan J, Horn K. Gender differences in cigarette smoking, social correlates and cessation among adolescents. Addict Behav. 2012 Jun;37(6):739-42. PubMed PMID: 22405835; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3334461.
- Dino GA, Pignataro R, Breland A, Murray PJ, Horn K. Adolescent smoking cessation: promising strategies and evidence-based recommendations.Adolesc Med State Art Rev. 2011 Dec;22(3):614-30, xiii-xiv. Review. PubMed PMID: 22423467.
- Dino GA, Horn KA, Goldcamp J, Kemp-Rye L, Westrate S, Monaco K. Teen smoking cessation: making it work through school and community partnerships. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2001 Mar;7(2):71-80. PubMed PMID: 12174402.
- Horn K, McCracken L, Dino G, Brayboy M. Applying community-based participatory research principles to the development of a smoking-cessation program for American Indian teens: "telling our story". Health Educ Behav. 2008 Feb;35(1):44-69. PubMed PMID: 16740518.
- Dino G, Horn K, Abdulkadri A, Kalsekar I, Branstetter S. Cost-effectiveness analysis of the Not On Tobacco program for adolescent smoking cessation. Prev Sci. 2008 Mar;9(1):38-46. PubMed PMID: 18286372.
Phone: (304) 293-1898