These awards will utilize a self-nomination process and are open to any currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student in good standing in the HSC. Please note that in no instance will a student be awarded more than one award, nor be considered competitively in subsequent years of study after having received an award. Up to five awards of $2,000 each are available for the 2013-14 academic year.
The selection process is coordinated through the GEO-HSC and will reflect the selection criteria below. Completed applications should be sent electronically to Ashley Boateng (email@example.com) and must be received by November 1, 2013.
A completed application consists of the following:
- A statement (one page maximum, 12 pt. font, 1” margins) that includes:
- Applicant’s academic and professional background
- Specific interests and career goals
- How the applicant would use the scholarship if selected
- A curriculum vitae
- Two recommendations, submitted electronically by the recommenders, from individuals familiar with the nominee’s academic performance and achievements, as well as actual and/or potential professional impact on the student’s field of study. One recommendation must be from a faculty member within the student’s department.
The GEO Awards Committee will review applicants based on:
- academic excellence
- demonstrated leadership
- potential and/or evidence of impact of work
- commitment to improving and advancing global health within the HSC
Preference will be given to students participating in inter-professional global health activities (sites in which students interact with those from other HSC schools) and from programs currently considered to be relatively underrepresented in global health activities.