MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Bonnie’s Bus, the mobile mammography program of the WVU Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center and WVU Healthcare, has received a $35,000 grant from the West Virginia affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure to provide education and mammography screenings to women of color in West Virginia.
BB-Komen-photo.jpg
“This funding will allow us to reach out to all women of color to encourage them to have regular mammograms to reduce their mortality rate from breast cancer. It will also allow us to provide mammograms for any West Virginia women who have no insurance or other coverage,” Sara Jane Gainor, director of Bonnie’s Bus, said. “Early detection is the best way to reduce deaths from breast cancer.”

Susan G. Komen for the Cure is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, and the West Virginia Affiliate is one of 125 affiliates on the front lines dedicated to ending breast cancer in their communities. Komen affiliates fund innovative programs that help women and men overcome the cultural, social, educational and financial barriers to breast cancer screening and treatment.

“At the Komen West Virginia Affiliate, we conducted a needs assessment of our community and discovered particular gaps in service across the state,” Rebecca Newhouse, past president of the West Virginia Affiliate’s Board of Directors and Grant Committee member, said. “We are confident that through the 2013-2014 grantees’ projects these needs will be addressed and West Virginia women will benefit as a result.”  

Photo caption: Cathy McAlister, president of the Susan G. Komen West Virginia Board of Directors (left), presents a check for $35,000 to Sara Jane Gainor, director of Bonnie’s Bus.

About Bonnie’s Bus
Bonnie’s Bus was created by Ben and Jo Statler in honor of Jo’s mother, Bonnie Wells Wilson, who succumbed to breast cancer in a remote area of the state with no access to screening mammography. Bonnie’s Bus has a mission to provide breast cancer screening services to women in West Virginia, especially those in rural parts of the state with limited or no access to screening mammography. For more information see www.wvucancer.org/bonnie or visit
www.facebook.com/BonniesBus.

About Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the Komen West Virginia Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The West Virginia Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen West Virginia Race for the Cure, the West Virginia Affiliate has invested more than $275,000 in community breast cancer programs across the state for the 2013-2014 grant cycle. Of the net proceeds generated by the Affiliate, up to 75 percent stays in West Virginia; the remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 304-556-4808 or visit www.komenwv.org.
--WVU HEALTH--
13-095
For more information: Amy Johns, Director of Public Affairs, 304-293-7087
ss: 05-15-13