MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Bonnie’s Bus, a digital mammography center on wheels, will visit Doddridge, Monongalia, Marion, and Preston counties offering digital mammograms and breast care education to women.
- Doddridge Health Department in West Union from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 9. For an appointment, call 304-873-1531.
- Belk department store at Morgantown Mall (front entrance) from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on June 24. For an appointment, call 877-287-2272. Walk-ins are also welcome.
- Marion County Health Department in Fairmont from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on June 25. For an appointment, call 304-366-3360.
- Rowlesburg Clinic from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on June 26. For an appointment, call 304-454-2421.
- East Preston School in Terra Alta from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. on June 27. For an appointment, call 304-864-0884.
The mammograms are billed to private insurance, Medicaid, or Medicare, if available. Mammograms for women who do not have insurance will be covered by the West Virginia Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Program (WVBCCSP) or through special grant funds from the West Virginia affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure. No woman over 40 is turned away due to lack of funding. A physician’s order is needed for a mammogram.
Since the startup of the mobile mammography program, Bonnie’s Bus has provided nearly 8,700 mammograms for women throughout West Virginia and led to the detection of 32 cases of breast cancer. Many of those screened are uninsured or underinsured and qualified for screening through the WVBCCSP.
Bonnie’s Bus works in collaboration with a statewide partnership of clinicians, public health professionals, women’s groups, and other community leaders working to help reduce the number of deaths from breast cancer in West Virginia.
Made possible by a generous gift from West Virginia natives Jo and Ben Statler to the Cancer Center, Bonnie’s Bus is operated in partnership with WVU Hospitals. The bus is named after Jo Statler’s late mother, Bonnie Wells Wilson.
For information on Bonnie’s Bus, see www.wvucancer.org/bonnie.
Attention reporters and editors: If you are interested in covering Bonnie’s Bus when it visits your area, please call the WVU Healthcare Marketing and Communications Office in Morgantown at 304-293-7087 in advance. Out of respect for patient privacy, please do not show up at the location without scheduling an appropriate time for interviews and/or photos.