National Donate Life Month is celebrated each April. WVU Medicine and its Donor Advisory Group are commemorating the occasion with a Donate Life Month flag-raising ceremony Friday, April 21, from 11 a.m.- 12 p.m.
The ceremony will begin with a presentation in the third-floor atrium at J.W. Ruby Memorial Hospital and will continue in front of the hospital with the flag raising. Light refreshments will be available.
During the month, those who have received transplants and those who continue to wait are honored and recognized, along with donors and donor families. It is also a time to thank registered donors for giving hope.
Also, WVU Medicine employees are encouraged to wear green and blue colors that day to promote the success of organ, eye, and tissue transplantation and the extreme need for registered donors. More information about this day and organ, eye, and tissue donation can be found at the Donate Life America website.
Friday’s speakers include:
- Albert L. Wright, Jr., president and CEO, West Virginia University Health System
- Susan Stuart, president and CEO, Center for Organ Recovery and Education (CORE)
- Cindy Osbourne, heart transplant recipient
- Debbie Stonestreet, mother of an organ donor
- George Sokos, DO, WVU Heart and Vascular Institute physician
- Kent Tekulve, former Pittsburgh Pirates great and heart transplant recipient