- Successful application to the School of Medicine through the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS).
- Identify as MD/PhD applicant.
- Complete specific essays required for MD/PhD applicants.
- AMCAS application deadline is November 1; however, the WVU deadline for MD/PhD applicants is October 1.
- Applications are prescreened by School of Medicine Admissions Committee Members (MD & MD/PhD). Applicants meeting screening requirements will receive a secondary application.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident with a green card and with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- As part of the secondary application
- please identify your area of research interest.
- you have the option to update or change your personal statement that you wrote for the AMCAS application. See 4 below.
- you may use the same letters of recommendation as in the AMCAS application. It is recommended, however, that you have one or two letters from professors that evaluate your potential as a physician scientist.
- Additional Evaluation Letters (Please use the following: Evaluation Form) should be mailed to:
Office of Research and Graduate Education
West Virginia University School of Medicine
P.O. Box 9024
Morgantown, WV 26506-9024
- Invitations for interviews will be sent to the qualified applicants.
- Applicants are screened on the basis of exceptional qualifications to medical school, on the quality of the letters of references, and on your personal statement that should include past or continuous research experiences, the reasons for applying to WVU, and a clear career vision as a physician scientist.
- On average, those applicants who are invited for interviews have a GPA of 3.7 or better.
- We recommend that you apply early as our fully paid, 2.5 day visit/interviews are conducted from October through January.
- Visits include a tour of Morgantown and WVU, dinner and social with faculty and resident students, tour of facilities at the Health Sciences Center, meetings with prospective student-selected faculty, and interviews with the members of both the MD and MD/PhD Admissions Committees. Evidence of passion for research and patient care are qualities expected of successful interviewees.
Please note: The medical school does not enroll international students for the MD or the MD/PhD Medical Scientist Program.
Lisa M. Salati, Ph.D.
Administrative Coordinator, M.D./Ph.D. Medical Scientist Program
PO Box 9024
Morgantown, WV 26506