Grants Processing Guide
- Locate a funding opportunity by searching the SPIN database, a comparable database, or a funding agency’s web site. The Office of Sponsored Programs maintains links to the most commonly used sources.
- Obtain the application information and forms from the funding agency. Please note that a specific program announcement or RFA (Request for Application) may have instructions, deadlines, and processes that override the agency’s standard ones
- The Electronic Blue Sheet (EBS) process is the means through which all proposals for extramural funding are processed and submitted to the Office of Sponsored Programs.
Note: Any uncompensated project costs noted in a proposal must be detailed and reflected in the cost sharing section of the blue sheet. This would include such things as faculty salary for which funds are not requested. Be sure to follow the instructions on the OSP application approval sheet and complete all required documentation for processing. Cost sharing is being reviewed very carefully and may increase the time required for proposal processing. Cost Sharing Policy
- To complete the forms accurately, some standard WVU data is needed. The most current fringe benefits rate and F&A (facilities and administration) rate information is available in the Office of Sponsored Program’s Proposal Preparation web page.
- Complete all of the required forms, and upload the proposal documents into EBS. The complete proposal is required for review at the HSC level of approval. When processing grant submissions for HSC administrative approval it has been the policy to allow investigator's to submit "draft" narratives in order to expedite processing.
The HSC Research Office will continue processing proposals with draft narratives. Investigators may continue to revise and upload supporting proposal documents in the EBS during the review process prior to submitting to OSP. However, the proposal MUST be complete and final upon submission to the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP). Once a proposal is submitted to OSP no further editing can occur in EBS.
- Please note: Although many funding agencies (such as the NIH) use modular budgets, a detailed internal expenditure budget is required for WVU. Budget templates are available on the OSP web site in the Grant Budget Assistance (GBA) section on the “Forms” page.
- Refer to the Health Sciences Center EBS Approval Hierarchy to determine designated approvers for each HSC department/college as well as deans’ offices and the Chancellor’s Office.
Please remember to allow time for review/processing!
Note these internal deadlines as you prepare your grant proposal:
- The HSC Office of Research requires 3 full working days to review a proposal
- The WVU Office of Sponsored Programs requires 5 full working days
- The HSC Office of Research requires 3 full working days to complete its review process.
- During the review process the following is being checked:
- All form pages, including the EBS information - Presence of all required departmental approvals, assurance information (IRB, ACUC, etc.), and F&A return.
- Budget - Correct salary compared to percent effort, use of current negotiated F&A rate. For modular grants, the inclusion of an internal detailed expenditure budget.
- Budget narrative - Consistency with budget.
- Format and overall consistency - Adherence to required format, consistency between methodology section and budget. Review the sponsor instructions/guidelines to be sure that the application responds to the call for proposals.
- Special guidelines - Adherence to sponsor guidelines, in the case of a specific solicitation.
The HSC Office of Research does not review the science of a proposal narrative, beyond verifying compliance issues as well as the inclusion of such things as animals described in the methodology. Also excluded from review is the soundness of preliminary scientific data.
The HSC Office of Research approves for both the School of Medicine Dean and the HSC Chancellor’s Office. Proposals from Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy are required to have their dean included as an approver as well as the Chancellor’s Office designee (Valerie Lemasters).
If a proposal requires changes, they will be annotate in an email message to the investigator. Revised documents are to be re-uploaded in EBS before submitting to OSP.
When a proposal requires no further changes, the proposal simply approved in EBS. The next step is to submit the proposal to Office of Sponsored Programs (Once all approvals are in place, a “Submit to OSP” button will appear in the PI/creator EBS. The proposal is NOT submitted until the PI (or creator) have clicked on the Submit to OSP button. The progress of the proposal may continue to be tracked through the EBS through to the Submission to Sponsor.
Animal Research and the ACUC
West Virginia University is required to provide training and keep records for all persons who care for or use animals in research, teaching, training or exhibition.
IACUC Research training through the CITI program is required by all research personnel listed on an animal research protocol.
Human Subjects Research and the IRBs
The two WVU Institutional Review Boards for Protection of Human Research Subjects (IRB) ensure that human subject research at WVU is appropriate and conforms to federal regulations.
Human Subject Research Training through the CITI program is required by all research personnel listed on a research study.