Biomaterials, Bioengineering & Nanotechnology Laboratory
"Integrity, Innovation & Persistence"
Group News: For the second time in three years, Dr. Li has been recognized internationally for his research in orthopaedic infection ... (Details can be found at http://www.hsc.wvu.edu/som/ortho/Bli/News/).
WVU Health Sciences Center
(L) Bingyun Li, PhD; (M) Bingyun Li, PhD and Sanford E. Emery, MD; (R) WVCTSI
Bingyun Li, PhD
Associate Professor with tenure (2011-Present; Assistant Professor, 2005-2011)
Department of Orthopaedics
Director, Biomaterials, Bioengineering & Nanotechnology Laboratory (2006-Present)
School of Medicine, West Virginia University
Guest Researcher, NIOSH, CDC, Morgantown, WV
Participant, Drug Discovery and Therapeutics Group
Member, West Virginia Clinical and Translational Science Institute (WVCTSI, 2012-Present)
Member, American Chemical Society (ACS); American Society for Microbiology (ASM); Materials Research Society (MRS); Orthopaedic Research Society (ORS); Society for Biomaterials (SFB).
- Open fracture-associated infection prevention, rapid fracture/wound healing
- Cellular immune response, cellular interaction
- Nanomedicine, controlled/targeted drug delivery for orthopaedic, dental and cancer treatments
- Bioengineering and advanced biomedical devices
- Nanotechnology sorbents, coatings, and capsules
Sources of Support:
- AO Foundation
- Nanoconduction, Inc.
- NASA WV
- Osteosynthesis & Trauma Care Foundation
- WV Higher Education Policy Commission
- WVU Research Corporation
Grant Proposal Reviewer: National Science Foundation (NSF), U. S. Army Research Office, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, U.S. Department of Energy, U.S. Civilian Research and Development Foundation, Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF), AO Foundation, American Chemical Society Petroleum Research Fund, Research Grant Council (RGC) of Hong Kong, Scottish Clinical Academic Training Fellowships, University of Kentucky CTSA pilot grants, Louisiana Board of Regents, Jeffress Memorial Trust, Wellcome Trust/DBT India Alliance.
Associate Editor/Editor: Journal of Biomedical and Bioengineering, Clinical Research on Foot & Ankle.
Editorial Board Member: Journal of Bioengineering & Biomedical Science, Recent Patents on Nanotechnology, World Journal of Orthopaedics, TheScientificWorldJOURNAL, and ISRN Biomedical Engineering.
Archival Journal Reviewer (50 journals): ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces; Acta Biomaterialia; Advanced Biomaterials; Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews; Advanced Functional Materials; Advanced Materials; Advanced Science Letters; Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; Applied Physics Letter; Biologics: Targets & Therapy; Biomacromolecules; Biomaterials; Biomedical Engineering-Applications, Basis and Communications (BME); Biotechnology and Bioengineering; Biotechnology Research International; British Microbiology Research Journal; Carbohydrate Polymers; Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry; Clinical Medicine Insights: Arthritis and Musculoskeletal Disorders; Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research (CORR); Energy & Fuels; European Cells & Materials; European Polymer Journal; Fuel; International Journal of Biomedical Nanoscience and Nanotechnology; International Journal of Interferon, Cytokine and Mediator Research; Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy; Journal of Biomaterials Science: Polymer Edition; Journal of Biomedical Materials Research; Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology; Journal of Colloid and Interface Science; Journal of Interferon & Cytokine Research; Journal of Materials Chemistry; Journal of Microencapsulation; Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology; Journal of Orthopedic Research; Langmuir; Materials Science & Engineering - C; Materials Today; Microbial Pathogenesis; Microbiology - Concepts and Applications; Nanomedicine (UK); Nanomedicine: NBM; Nanoscale; Nature Communications; Open Biomaterials Journal; Orthopedic Research and Reviews; Recent Patents on Nanotechnology; Sensors and Actuators B; Tissue Engineering.
- More than 36 students in Dr. Li's group received awards, fellowships, and prizes at local, national, and international leves.
- Dr. Li has given more than 26 invited talks at national and international conferences.
- Dr. Li received the ORS Collaborative Exchange Award, 2013.
- Dr. Li received the Asia Pacific Orthopaedic Association (APOA)-Pfizer Best Scientific Paper Award, 2013.
- Dr. Li received the AO Foundation Award, 2013.
- Dr. Li was awarded the 2011 Berton Rahn Prize from the AO Foundation. This prize, which honors the best completed project funded by the AO Foundation, includes a monetary award and an invited presentation at the AO trustees meeting in Berlin. The AO foundational is a medically guided international nonprofit foundation funding work on trauma and musculoskeletal surgery.
- Dr. Li was invited to the AOTrauma Clinical Priority Program on Bone Infection Meeting, Boston, MA, July 2010.
- Dr. Li received the Osteosynthesis and Trauma Care Foundation Award, 2009.
- Dr. Li was an invited speaker and panelist at the Cool Tech Nanomedicine event (Northern Virginia Technology Council), McLean, Virginia, November 2008.
- Dr. Li was selected as a participant in the U.S. Bone and Joint Decade’s Young Investigator Initiative (YII) Program, 2007-2008.
- Dr. Li was awarded the NSF Fellowship for the NSF Summer Institute on Nano Mechanics and Materials, Los Angeles, CA, 2007.
- Dr. Li received the Top Director’s Award, Institute of Metal Research, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2000.
- Dr. Li received the Top Presidential Scholarship of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 1999.
"Integrity, Innovation & Persistence"