How do Medical Students learn to do pap smears and breast exams?
How do they learn to help women feel comfortable during these personal exams?
In medical school, students are taught by women who have been trained to be teachers of these skills. Our Gynecological Teaching Associates (GTA) learn the methods of proper examinations so they can teach the students. It is a unique program where women teach while the student is practicing the skills on the GTA herself.
GTAs earn $150 per 90 minute teaching session.
Who are GTAs?
- Women who are very comfortable with their own bodies and have a positive body image.
- Women who are able to learn and communicate medical information. Substantial training is provided.
- Women who want to help future health professionals learn to be sensitive to the needs of female patients.
- Women who have not had any of their female organs removed. (Uterus, ovaries, cervix, breasts, though previous lumpectomies are not a problem.)
- Women who can provide verbal feedback to students in a sensitive and constructive manner.
How can I become a GTA?
Contact Lee Ann Miller at 304-293-5533 or firstname.lastname@example.org