- Use bold or italics only to emphasize copy.
- Don’t use underline formatting, and don’t use any combination of italic, bold, and underline.
- Underlined text is often interpreted as a link, especially for those who may be color blind
- Avoid using all caps for your text. Doing so may cause some screen readers and assistive technology to read out each individual letter of your words, instead of the full words themselves.
- Never use bold or italics to style headings or subheadings.
- Left-align text, never center or right-align.
- Leave one space between sentences, never two.
- Use sub-headings and bold or highlight keywords.
URLs and websites
Avoid spelling out URLs, but when you need to, leave off the “http://www.”.