Text formatting in the Umbraco Rich Text Editor (RTE) is done using the Formatting Tool Bar.
General Guidelines #
Proper text formatting not only helps improve readability, but is also crucial to meeting basic accessibility concerns. Please be mindful of how you format your text when creating, editing, and updating content.
- Do not use all caps for your text. Doing so may cause some screen readers and assistive technology to read out each individual letter of your words, instead of the full words themselves.
- Leave one space between sentences, never two.
- Do not use buttons to emphasize plain text.
- Avoid spelling out URLs and instead utilize Links and Buttons. If you must spell out a URL, leave off the “http://www.”.
- Do not use Decrease Indent or Increase Indent on plain text. They should be used exclusively for Lists.
Clear Formatting #
The Clear Formatting options allows you to strip any use of Bold, Italics, Buttons (Format), or Image Floats (Format). If you are copying and pasting formatted content, but want to start from scratch with formatting, using the Clear Formatting option would be the most efficient. Clear Formatting does not remove Heading formats.
Using Formats #
Each website comes standard with three pre-built formats. Using the "Formats" drop-down, you can apply a specific format to highlighted text. Select an item from the list below to learn more about the format and how to use it in your page.
- Section Heading, Section Subheading, Detailed Subheading
- Image floats ("Float Image Right"and "Float Image Left")
Bolding / Italicizing Text #
Bold and italicized text can be used to highlight keywords or emphasize copy. These should never be used on Headings or Subheadings, or purely to make your text "look different". They should also never be used in combination (bolding and italicizing the same word).
How to Bold / Unbold Text #
- Locate and highlight the text you would like to bold (or unbold).
- Click the Bold icon in the Formatting Tool Bar.
How to Italicize / Unitalicize Text #
- Locate and highlight the text you would like to italicize (or unitalicize).
- Click the Italics icon in the Formatting Tool Bar.
Using Lists #
Lists can be used to present steps, groups, or sets of information. You can learn more about Lists and how to create them on your website.