As you create new pages, or are reviewing your pre-existing pages, sorting pages can be a useful tool. Sorting allows you to change the order of a set of pages by targeting the "parent" page (one level above the pages you want to sort); not to be confused with Moving Pages, which allows you to move a single page to a new place in your website. Note: In most cases, the Sort Order of the pages in Umbraco is how they will be ultimately be reflected in your websites sub navigation.
Choosing a Sort Order #
- Name - Alphabetically lists the pages by name. Default order is Ascending.
- Creation Date - Lists the pages by their date of creation. Default order is Ascending.
- Sort Order - Lists the pages by the sort order, numerically. The sort order is the order the pages were in before you began the sorting process. (Example: you have dragged and dropped a few pages, but decide it's not the order you would like. Click the "Sort Order" label to reset the pages back to their original order.)
- Custom - Drag and drop pages to your preferred order. (Example: sort pages by your website's individual needs, such as ranking of importance.)
Sorting Pages #
- Right click on the page you want to sort pages under. Note: If you are unable to right click, you can also open the "parent" page and click the "Actions" drop down from the top right corner.
- Click Sort.
- To the right of the page listing, a duplicate listing will appear. Drag and drop pages (Custom), or click the labels (Name, Creation Date, Sort Order) to sort them.
- Click Save. Note: To see your changes reflect in the page listing, you may need to refresh.