If you have a large set of photos, you should first consider adding these to your social media pages. While it is possible to create an Image Gallery page in Umbraco, our website traffic reports consistently show little to no activity on Image Gallery pages. Creating/adding them to social media pages is the most effective place for these images and audiences are much more likely to actively engage them. Placing your images on social media not only provides opportunity for more traffic to come to your website, but also gives our website analytics system more data. To discuss what avenue is right for your photo gallery, contact Dave Ryan.
Linking to your Social Media Photo Gallery
- Review WVU’s Guidelines and tips on social media usage.
- Create/add your photo gallery to your social media platform of choice (Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
- In Umbraco, locate the page you would like to link to your photo gallery from.
- Add a link to the photo gallery.
- (Optional) Turn your link into a button.
- Click Save and Publish.
In the event that social media is not the best route, Umbraco has an option to add photo galleries. This should be the alternative to posting on social media, not the first option. To discuss what avenue is right for your photo gallery, contact Dave Ryan.
Creating an Image Gallery in Umbraco
Not all websites have the Image Gallery page turned on. If your website does not, contact the CMS Desk to start the process of getting it added to your website.
- Review File Naming Best Practices.
- Upload your images to your specific folder in your website's Media Gallery Area in the BLACK BAR NAME . If you don't know how to use the Media Gallery, contact the CMS Desk for training.
- Click the Menu/Options Button on the page you want your Image Gallery to live under. You can also right click, then click Create.
- Click Image Gallery .
- After filling in your Page Title, click the Create icon beside "Media Folder".
- This will present a Media Gallery box to the right. Locate and click on the folder you placed your images into. A blue check mark icon will appear, and the folder's name will get a blue background.
- Click the Submit button.