Rural Community Health Scholars
Two-thirds of West Virginians live in rural communities, and 50 of West Virginia's 55 counties are considered to be in health professions shortage areas and/or are medically underserved.
You can make a difference.
You can be a Rural Community Health Scholar.
Rural Community Health Scholars:
Rural Community Health Scholars is a program designed with one goal in mind: to enhance your ability to create change and reshape the status quo for health care in your community.
Throughout this program, you will engage in clinical, didactic, and community-based activities in rural and underserved areas of WV to build your skill set and positively impact the lives of West Virginians.
As a Scholar, you will:
- Become a leader in your profession and community.
- Receive supplemental training and education from experts in rural healthcare.
- Develop an astute understanding of how to best implement health care services in rural or underserved areas.
- Learn how to work as part of an interprofessional team.
- Provide meaningful patient care in the field and gain hands-on experience.
Visit the Program Overview tab to learn more!
- Receive a $1,300 participation award (awarded in two installments).
- *Please note that this award may affect your financial aid package; please contact Program Manager if you have questions.
- Obtain national recognition for program participation.
- Engage in interprofessional and inter-institutional collaboration.
- Enhance your education through immersive experiences in clinical and community-based settings.
- Receive advanced didactic training through online learning modules.
- Make a direct impact on rural and underserved communities in West Virginia.
- Grow your passions in a supportive, community-based learning environment.
- Build relationships with scholars in other disciplines, faculty, staff, and clinical preceptors.
- Cultivate your professional skill set in leadership, problem-solving, community health, and innovation.
- Make professional connections in the communities in which you may practice post graduation.
Let's transform West Virginia, together.
For more information, please click through the menu tabs on the right-hand side of this page.