Virtual Teaching Scholars Summer Institute
2023 applications are welcome
This program will be held beginning on Monday, June 5 to Wednesday, June 7, 2023, via Zoom. Simulation Certification course is Tuesday, June 6 to Friday, June 9, 2023. Additional information on the Simulation Certification is below.
The 19th Annual Teaching Scholars Summer Institute will focus on developing educational theories/ technologies as well as promoting educational skills, critical thinking and innovative educational approaches. The Core education sessions must be attended from Monday, June 5 to Wednesday, June 7, 2023.
The target audience includes health sciences faculty of all levels from Medicine, Pharmacy, Dentistry, Nursing, Public Health and allied health professionals, the modules for the program include:
- Learning styles and strategies
- Scholarship in education
- Information technology
- Leadership in education
Following the Institute participants should be able to:
- Enhance leadership in teaching/learning.
- Promote excellence in teaching and scholarship in teaching.
- Promote and develop teaching modalities.
- Be more learner-centered.
- Discuss the importance of assessment and differentiate among different types of assessment.
Optional Simulation Certification Available:
The virtual Simulation I fee is $200 per person. On-site Simulation II on Thursday is an additional $400.00 and on-site Simulation III on Friday is an additional $400.00 per person. The total for attending all three Simulation sessions is $1,000.00. Simulation II and III are on-site at STEPS, 3642 Health Sciences, Morgantown, WV. Our Simulation Center is certified by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare.
The Simulation Training and Education for Patient Safety Certificate Program provides opportunities for faculty from all disciplines to enhance their skills in teaching with simulation.
The fee covers conference handouts and certificate of participation.
The objectives for "Basics In Simulation" include:
- Describe the role of simulation in healthcare.
- Discuss activities for a healthcare curriculum.
- Determine the appropriate simulation modality for a provided scenario.
- Differentiate 4 simulation modalities.
- Evaluate your current curriculum for ways that simulation can benefit learners.
- Evaluate simulation needs vs. objectives for your class.
- Discuss the importance and role of interprofessional education in healthcare.
Questions on SIM II and III, including the schedule, hotels and the fee for internals should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attendees are required to attend all sessions that they register for to receive a certificate. The Teaching Scholars Summer Institute fees:
- Early bird $400.00 per person. Early bird ends 5/15/23. Applications also due by 5/15/23.
- 4 or more early bird $300.00 per person.
- Following early bird $500.00 per person even with 4 or more.
- For schools with multiple faculty attending this program please submit all applications at one time to obtain the early bird fees.
WVU faculty contact HSCFacultyDevelopment@hsc.wvu.edu for payment information for Teaching Scholars Summer Institute 2023.
Upon submission/review of applications an invoice will be sent.
Payment information checks made payable to West Virginia University to:
HSC Faculty Development Program
West Virginia University Health Sciences Center
PO Box 9170
Morgantown, WV 26506
A $50.00 fee will be charged for all canceled registrations.
W9 information for West Virginia University.
Visit the Teaching Scholars Summer Institute application and registration summary. Be certain to submit the short version of your CV and the third person biography narrative (sample bio) along with the application.
Note that biographical sketches are not acceptable. Please make certain your Social Security Number is NOT on any documents that you submit.
Scan and e-mail as an attachment to HSCFacultyDevelopment@hsc.wvu.edu.
ALL REGISTRATION must be completed by Monday, May 15, 2023.