• Q. Who should I list as my employer/company name when renewing my DEA?
  • A. You must use West Virginia University to be exempt from the renewal fee.
  • Q. Who is the certifying official for DEA Registration Renewals?
  • A. Wendy L. King, CFO for West Virginia University Health Sciences, P. O. Box 9002, Morgantown, WV 26506, Phone: 304-293-7304.
  • Q. How do I apply for a State Pcard?
  • A. For a State employee applicant, the department DCC will need to contact the EBO to request access to the State Pcard and Ethics training through http://www.wvsao.gov. Once trained, the DCC needs to complete the State Pcard WVU Application. The application form is available in this link: http://pcps.wvu.edu/for_departments/about_pcards/state_pcard_forms. Completed application forms need to be submitted to the EBO.
  • Q. How do I apply for a Research Corporation Pcard?
  • A. For new applicants who have not applied for a State Pcard and have not taken the State Pcard and Ethics training before, training for a Research Corporation Pcard needs to be completed and applicants need to pass the training quiz. Copies of the training material and quiz are provided by the DCC. The quiz will need to be forwarded to PCardAdministration@mail.wvu.edu for review. Once you've passed the training quiz, the DCC will need to complete a Research Corporation Pcard Application and have the applicant sign the Research Corporation Agreement form to be forwarded to the EBO. The application form and Agreement form are available in this link: http://pcps.wvu.edu/for_departments/about_pcards/rcpcard.
  • Q. What should I do if my State Pcard is lost or stolen?
  • A. If your Pcard is lost or stolen, notify Citibank at 1-800-248-4553 as soon as possible. You will be issued a replacement card with a different account number. Notify your Departmental Card Coordinator and complete a Pcard Maintenance Form to close your account for the lost or stolen card. The Maintenance Form needs to be submitted to your EBO.
  • Q. What should I do if there has been fraudulent activity in my Pcard account?
  • A. If there has been fraudulent activity in your P-Card account, notify Citibank at 1-800-248-4553 and your Departmental Card Coordinator as soon as possible. A Pcard Maintenance Form will need to be completed to close your P-card account. You will also need to provide all billing statements with the disputed charge(s) identified. Complete the Declaration of Unauthorized Use Form (mailed to you by the bank) and submit to Citibank Security Services (address on the form). The compromised card needs to be destroyed.
  • Q. What is WVUBUY?
  • A. WVUBUY is a new online shopping experience for WVU employees. This e-commerce tool provides users streamlined, one-stop shopping to save time and money. You can compare prices from specialized vendors such as Alps Controls and Fastenal as well as office supply vendors such as Office Depot, Office Max, and Staples. For more information on WVUBUY and to access training materials, please visit http://pcps.wvu.edu/wvubuy/what-is-wvubuy.
  • Q. When submitting travel reimbursement requests, what are some guidelines regarding the necessity for receipts?
  • A. Meals: In general, receipts are not required for meal reimbursement unless the traveler is engaged in guardian travel (see section 7.2 of the travel policy for more info on guardian travel). Meal expense reimbursement is limited to actual expenses for food, service and gratuities, not to exceed the Authorized Daily Rates (ADR) as established by the General Services Administration (GSA).
    (GSA Website: http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/21287)
    Other expenses: Below is a brief sample of other business expenses which, if kept under the current IRS or GSA limits for miscellaneous expenses (currently < $75.00), do not require a receipt for reimbursement.
    Baggage charges by airlines
    Gratuities for baggage handling and public transportation (e.g., taxi cabs)
    Tolls, garage and parking fees, including gratuities
    (For a more complete list, please see section 9.1 of the travel policy: http://pcps.wvu.edu/r/download/32231).
  • Q. Are meal expenses reimbursable when traveling without an overnight stay?
  • A. No. Per Section 7.1 of the travel policy, meal expense reimbursement for single day travel (when there is not an overnight stay) is NOT allowed.
  • Q. What forms must I complete for a mileage reimbursement?
  • A. In addition to a WVU Travel Settlement form, you must also complete and submit a Mileage Calculator form to compare the cost of mileage reimbursement for personal vehicle to the cost of an Enterprise rental car for the same trip. Both forms may be accessed at http://pcps.wvu.edu/for_travelers/wvu_travel_forms. Generally speaking, the reimbursement will be limited to the less expensive of the two options. In cases where an exception is made, the Travel Settlement form must be signed by the Chief Business Officer (i.e., for HSC, Roberta Linger).
  • Q. What is my available annual and sick leave balance?
  • A. Log on to my access using your master ID and password. http://myaccess.wvu.edu Choose MyTime and then Leave Request on the right hand side of the screen. Choose Requests. In the blue alternative region on the right hand side of the screen choose (+) Expand. You will then see your leave balances as well as your employee demographics.
  • Q. What do I do if I need a change in my Oracle access, or if I need to add Oracle access for a new associate?
  • A. You may send an email to Victoria Thomas (vthomas@hsc.wvu.edu) and let her know what access is needed. Victoria will review and submit your request, and you will be notified when the access has been granted.
  • Q. When is the next State pay day?
  • A. State employees are paid twice each month. Pay days are usually on the 15th and 30th of each month. If the month has more than 30 days, pay days are the 16th and last day of the month.
  • Q. As a supervisor, I have questions regarding the approval of hours for my non-exempt employees in MyTime. Is training provided?
  • A. Training for supervisors and employees can be found at http://myaccesshelp.wvu.edu. If you have further questions, please call 293-5129 or e-mail deballard@hsc.wvu.edu.
  • Q. Our department needs a work study student. How can we request one?
  • A. Each semester our Business Office sends an e-mail request to HSC departments asking how many work study students they require for the upcoming semester. Departments must complete a form that asks for a job description, skills needed to perform the job, and if there is a specific student who has been awarded Financial Aid they would like to employ for the position. The Federal Work Study Office sends us eligible students each semester. A new hire form is completed by the hiring department and sent to our office. The student may begin working after their assignment has been created in MAP.
  • Q. I want to hire a Mountaineer Temp. What form do I complete?
  • A. Mountaineer Temp information can be found at: http://mountaineertemps.hr.wvu.edu. Departments requesting a temp must complete an on-line job order form found at this link.
  • Q. What paperwork do I include with my bank deposits?
  • A. Locked inside the deposit bag:
    The white and yellow copies of the original TO
    The cash/checks to be deposited

    In the outside pocket of the deposit bag:
    A copy (on 8 ½ X 11 paper) of the TO
    A copy of the Miscellaneous Receipt

    Note: You may keep the pink copy of the TO for your records. Please do not send any part of the original TO in the outside pocket of the deposit bag. Please send a copy only.
  • Q. Why does it take so long to execute a contract?
  • A. Both the legal and financial conditions of proposed contracts must be reviewed by Legal Counsel and the CFO, respectively, prior to the Chancellor providing his signature on any contract. Therefore, any legal question should be directed to Valasha Sweetnich at vsweetnich@hsc.wvu.edu, and any financial question should be directed to the Director of Accounting and Reporting. Additionally, a CFO designed “gold sheet” must be completed and attached to a proposed contract upon submission to the Chief Financial Officer’s unit.
  • Q. I need a new fund – how can I create one in general ledger?
  • A. Make your request in an e-mail to the Director of Accounting and Reporting in memo form, or use the online form here.
  • Q. I need a new departmental activity created, how do I do that?
  • A. Refer to “MAP Forms”, on the MAP home page, then choose General Ledger (GL), select - add a Child Level DA, or Add a Department Level DA. Your request will be sent to the Director of Accounting and reporting for approval.