West Virginia University Logo

For Supervisors

Can I call for help and guidance?

If you are concerned about a staff member who is struggling, but don’t know what to do, we can help.  FSAP is available to consult with supervisors on how to deal with staff with problems – or potential problems – in the workplace.

How do I refer an employee?

A supervisor may notice that a staff member is struggling with work or personal problems, and want to help.  Some signs may be unusual emotional changes or performance issues, particularly from an employee who has always functioned well.  A concerned supervisor can remind the employee of the FSAP service, and offer support their access of the service. Although you may suggest accessing the service, remember that employee use of FSAP is confidential and voluntary.

I don’t know how to talk to my employee about this… can you help?

FSAP can help supervisors with strategies for having difficult conversations with employees, or provide further information that can help you decide whether to suggest FSAP to an employee.