Master Clinician Award
This award honors faculty for sustained outstanding achievement in providing quality patient-centered care with compassion, integrity, and honesty. To be eligible for the award, the nominee must be a full-time faculty member in the HSC at either the main or branch campuses; currently have responsibility for providing direct patient care; have a minimum of 10 years of clinical experience; and have a minimum of 7 years of clinical experience at WVU.
Criteria for Selection
Nominees must meet criteria for clinical excellence and at least two additional domains (i.e., Professionalism, Mentoring, Leadership, and Scholarship):
- Recognition of clinical excellence by peers locally, regionally and nationally.
- Evidence of excellent clinical teaching skills.
- Evidence of provision of evidence based care.
- Evidence of patient advocacy.
- Significant contributions in quality improvement initiatives in the clinical environment.
- Improved patient outcomes.
- Evidence of role modelling compassing, integrity, and honesty.
- Outstanding verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
- Effective work as part of an interdisciplinary team.
- Recognition for excellence in learner or peer mentorship.
- Evidence of impact on learners and peers.
- Evidence of effect leadership locally, regionally and nationally, relevant to clinician role.
- Significant contributions to clinical program development.
- Development of new modalities for providing clinical care.
- Leadership in the development of new clinical curriculum or revision of existing curriculum.
- Presentations at regional and national meetings, relevant to clinician role.
- Publications in relevant clinical journals.
- Evidence of facilitating to scholarly activity of learners, related to clinical role.
Required Materials for Nomination
- Total number of pages for the entire application may not exceed 20 pages
- Cover Sheet (1 page limit, including affiliations)
- Table of Contents (1 page limit)
- Nomination letter, may be completed by learner, peer, or supervisor (2 page limit)
- Three letters of support from learners or peers
- Personal statement by nominee regarding “Being a Clinician.” (2 page limit)
- Supporting Documents
- Evaluations of clinical work from most recent 3 years
- Peer evaluations
- Learning Evaluation
- Patient outcome data (must be de-indentifed, may be presented in aggregate)
- Abridged CV, including degrees earned; positions held and duties associated with each; and relevant awards, honors, grants, and publications. (5 page limit)