Women in Science and Health Award
The Women in Science & Health Awards are sponsored by the Women in Science & Health (WISH) Committee to recognize outstanding achievements by women while at the Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center (HSC) of West Virginia University.
The Mid-Career Award recognizes exceptional achievements in commitment to diversity, education, mentorship, scholarship, service to WV and leadership. The successful candidate is a woman faculty member at the assistant or associate professor level who demonstrates promise of future sustained scholarship and leadership.
The Advanced Career Award recognizes exceptional achievements in commitment to diversity, education, mentorship, scholarship, service to WV, leadership, research and commitment to Health Sciences Center mission. The successful candidate is a woman faculty member at the Full Professor level who demonstrates sustained scholarship and leadership and recognition at the national level.
Nominees should offer specific documentation of achievements while at WVU in the areas listed below:
- Diversity (i.e.: examples of research or service activities addressing the support of minority or under-represented groups in the HSC and/or in the state)
- Education (didactic and clinical teaching)
- Mentorship (Mentorship of all types is commended, but the committee places special emphasis on mentorship that advocates for, guides and supports women in the WVU Health Sciences Center).
- Service to West Virginia (i.e. patient care, community health promotion and disease prevention efforts, educational outreach, resource networking and dissemination)
- Leadership (i.e. examples of the candidate’s capacity to work creatively & constructively, and across disciplinary boundaries).
- Commitment to Research (this may include leadership in specific research agendas or active support of the research of others)
- Commitment to WVU Health Sciences Center mission
Nomination Package Requirements:
- Proposed Citation (<60 words). Summarize the specific achievements upon which the nomination is based.
- Nominator statement (3-pages maximum) including specific justifications of the candidate's suitability for the award with respect to:
- The specific, clearly defined, recent achievements which are proposed for recognition.
- The impact of the achievements within West Virginia, this may include the Health Sciences
- Center, WVU, clinical populations or West Virginians in the community.
- Evidence of support for diversity as indicated by activities to advocate for, support, or create opportunities for persons of under-represented groups.
- Evidence of a commitment to inter-professional education. This may include the development of interactive learning environments for students or professionals with diverse backgrounds, a commitment to a service learning model, or leadership in HSC inter-professional initiatives.
- Current Curriculum Vitae of the nominee
- No more than 2 letters of support from colleagues, student or clients familiar with the nominee's qualifications for this award. Each letter must be two-pages or less and should make specific reference to the exceptional achievements in commitment to diversity, education, mentorship, scholarship, service to WV, and leadership. Letters should be on letterhead and include the signature of the supporter.
- Both awards are managed by the WISH Award Subcommittee of the WVU HSC. The Subcommittee is responsible for soliciting and evaluating nominations annually and recommending a nominee to the WISH committee for final approval.
Submission Procedure and Deadline
Full nomination package should be submitted as a Word or PDF format and must be in the following order: Statement by Nominator, including proposed citation; Curriculum Vitae; Letters of Support (no more than 2). All materials, with the exception of support letters which may be sent separately, should be sent as a single file. Incomplete and late nominations will not be accepted. It is the responsibility of the nominators to ensure legibility of the PDF or Word Document. Deadline for submission is February 28, 2018, by 4 p.m. Submit all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.