Visits include Dawes, Belle, Clendenin, Charleston and SissonvilleMORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Bonnie’s Bus, a digital mammography center on wheels, will visit Kanawha County, offering digital mammograms and breast care education to women.
A service of WVU Healthcare and the Mary Babb Randolph Cancer Center, Bonnie’s Bus will visit:
• Cabin Creek Health Center in Dawes from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on April 4. For an appointment call 304-595-5006.
• Riverside High School in Belle from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on April 5. For an appointment call 304-949-3591.
• Clendenin Health Center from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on April 10 and 11. For an appointment call 304-548-7272.
• Family Care Health Center in Charleston from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on April 18. For an appointment call 304-720-4851.
• Sissonville Health Center from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on April 24. For an appointment in Sissonville call 304-984-1576.
The mammograms are billed to private insurance, Medicaid or Medicare if available. Mammograms for women who do not have insurance will be covered by the West Virginia Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Program (WVBCCSP) or through special grant funds. No woman over 40 is turned away due to lack of funding. A physician’s order is needed for a mammogram.
Since the startup of the mobile mammography program in 2009, Bonnie’s Bus has travelled more than 40,000 miles and screened nearly 2,700 women. More than half of those were screened last year. Many of those screened are uninsured or underinsured and qualified for screening through the WVBCCSP.
Bonnie’s Bus works in collaboration with a statewide partnership of clinicians, public health professionals, women’s groups and other community leaders working to help reduce the number of deaths from breast cancer in West Virginia.
Made possible by a generous gift from West Virginia natives Jo and Ben Statler to the Cancer Center, Bonnie’s Bus is operated in partnership with WVU Hospitals. The bus is named after Jo Statler’s late mother, Bonnie Wells Wilson.
For information on Bonnie’s Bus, see www.wvucancer.org/bonnie.
Attention reporters and editors: If you are interested in covering Bonnie’s Bus when it visits your area, please call the HSC News Service in Morgantown at 304-293-7087 in advance. Out of respect for patient privacy, please do not show up at the location without scheduling an appropriate time for interviews and/or photos.
For more information: Amy Johns, Director of Public Affairs, 304-293-7087