MORGANTOWN, W.Va. – Bonnie’s Bus, a digital mammography center on wheels, will visit Wetzel, Barbour, Gilmer, Harrison, and Doddridge counties in December, offering digital mammograms and breast care education to women.
- Morris Pharmacy in Pine Grove from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Dec. 2. For an appointment, call 304-889-3131.
- Belington Community Medical Services from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Dec 8. For an appointment, call 304-823-2800.
- Minnie Hamilton Health System in Glenville from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Dec. 9. For an appointment, call 304-462-7322.
- West Milford Health Center from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Dec. 17. For an appointment, call 304-745-4568.
- Doddridge County Health Department in West Union from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Dec. 18 and Dec. 19. For an appointment, call 304-873-1531, option 1.
The mammograms are billed to private insurance, Medicaid, or Medicare, if available. Mammograms for women who do not have insurance will be covered by the West Virginia Breast and Cervical Cancer Screening Program (WVBCCSP) or through special grant funds from the West Virginia affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure. No woman over 40 is turned away due to lack of funding. A physician’s order is needed for a mammogram.
Since the startup of the mobile mammography program, Bonnie’s Bus has provided more than 8,200 mammograms for women throughout West Virginia and led to the detection of 21 cases of breast cancer. Many of those screened are uninsured or underinsured and qualified for screening through the WVBCCSP.
Bonnie’s Bus works in collaboration with a statewide partnership of clinicians, public health professionals, women’s groups, and other community leaders working to help reduce the number of deaths from breast cancer in West Virginia.
Made possible by a generous gift from West Virginia natives Jo and Ben Statler to the Cancer Center, Bonnie’s Bus is operated in partnership with WVU Hospitals. The bus is named after Jo Statler’s late mother, Bonnie Wells Wilson.
For information on Bonnie’s Bus, see www.wvucancer.org/bonnie.
Attention reporters and editors: If you are interested in covering Bonnie’s Bus when it visits your area, please call the HSC News Service in Morgantown at 304-293-7087 in advance. Out of respect for patient privacy, please do not show up at the location without scheduling an appropriate time for interviews and/or photos.