The Microscope Imaging Facility provides access to a wide range of imaging modalities for analysis of biological samples. Our expert staff provides imaging and analysis services, as well as specialized training and support for our users. The facility is located in the Erma Byrd Biomedical Research Center on the Health Sciences Center campus at West Virginia University. Contact us to learn how we can support your research.
Acknowledging the Microscope Imaging Facility
The Association of Biomolecular Resource Facilities (ABRF) has established recommended authorship guidelines that the Research Technology Support Facility recommends. Please see below for their recommended guidelines:
WHY CITE THE CONTRIBUTIONS OF A CORE OR CORE PERSONNEL?
- Core facility personnel are scientists. When they make a substantial intellectual and/or experimental contribution to a publication they deserve to be acknowledged just as any other co-author.
- Core facilities must charge for services provided according to cost accounting practices set up their home institution. Charging for services does not preclude authorship on manuscripts provided the Core laboratory individual has contributed to the research in a substantial way.
- The existence of core facilities depends in part on proper acknowledgment in publications. This is an important metric of the value of most core facilities. Proper acknowledgment of core facilities enables them to obtain financial and other support so that they may continue to provide their essential services in the best ways possible. It also helps core personnel to advance in their careers, adding to the overall health of the core facility.
Activities for which authorship are recommended:
- Author should make substantive contributions to the project
- Conception, design of project, critical input, or original ideas
- Acquisition of data, analysis and interpretation, beyond routine practices
- Draft the article or revise it critically for intellectual content
- Write a portion of the paper (not just materials and methods section)
- Intellectual contribution
- Final authority for the approval of article
- All contributors that do not meet the criteria of authorship should be recognized in the acknowledgements section, for example:
- Paid technical help
- Writing assistance
- Financial and material support
- Scientific advice