The HSC Directory is the central application that ensures information for all faculty and staff remain up-to-date and allows all of the websites to utilize the correct information. Learn about editing people in the HSC Directory.
Listing people on a page must be done using the HSC Directory macro. The HSC Directory macro can be used more than once on a page, and will have sorting options on the live page.
Do not manually list people in any other way in the editor. Manually created listings of people lead to outdated and inconsistent content.
Adding/Editing a Person or List of People #
- Place the cursor on a new line in the editor.
- If you need to edit a current listing, go to the page and click on the macro in your content which you want to edit (it will be outlined with an orange dotted line).
- Click the Insert Macro button.
- This will present a box to the right with a grid style macro listing. Choose HSC Directory.
- You will be presented with a set of options you will need to complete in order to display the directory listing:
- (Optional) Title: Enter a Title for the people listed. It will be displayed on the page as a Heading above the listing.
- User ID, Feed URL, or Department ID: Use one of the three fields to get a list of people from the HSC Directory - User ID, Feed URL, or Department ID.
- (Optional) Sort by User ID/Feed URL List Order: Clicking the toggle control will list the people in the order of the comma separated IDs placed in the User ID field or at the end of the generated Feed URL. If this toggle control is in the "off" position, people will be listed in order of position (highest position to lowest position) by default. Note: This does not work when using the Department ID field to list people from Directory.
- Click Submit.
Retrieving Profiles from the HSC Directory #
User ID #
Each person listed in the HSC Directory is assigned a unique ID. A list of people can be generated in the HSC Directory macro by entering each user’s ID into the User ID field separated by commas. When using this method, a Default Order button will appear as a sorting option on a live page. To make the listing display on a page in this order, make sure to click the Sort by User ID/Feed URL List Order toggle control when adding a list of people (see step 4c).
Finding a User's ID #
While viewing a person’s profile in the HSC Directory, you will find the person’s user ID at the end of the URL in the browser’s address bar after “Index/”.
Feed URL #
A Feed URL is a URL that can be customized for specific use cases, by including one or more user IDs, one or more department IDs, or a combination of the two. This is the most efficient way of generating a list of people.
You must have access to the Directory Manager tool to be able to generate a Feed URL. If you do not have access to the Directory Manager tool or if you need help generating a feed URL, please email CMS Desk for assistance.
Department ID #
Each department page in the HSC Directory is assigned a unique ID. Individuals from multiple departments can be generated in the HSC Directory macro by entering each department’s ID into the Department ID field separated by commas.
Finding a Department's ID #
While viewing a department’s directory page in the HSC Directory, you will find the department’s ID at the end of the URL in the browser’s address bar after “Department?id=”.
Directory Listing Sorting #
When an HSC Directory macro is shown on a page (not in the rich text editor) and contains more than two people, it is accompanied by sorting buttons. There are three types of sorting buttons which can show on a page:
- Default Order - This order option will not show up on the page unless you have manually chosen a specific order, which is achieved by retrieving profiles using the User ID method. The sorting of the listings is determined by the order of the individual user IDs entered.
- Order by Position (always shown) - This orders the listing by their job position in the HSC Directory. This is the way the listing will automatically order on a page, unless you have checked the "Sort by User ID/Feed URL List Order" box when adding a list of people (see step 4c). Note: Issues with how this order displays on a page are commonly due to out of date or inaccurate Directory profile data entry. This can easily be remedied by editing a profile in the HSC Directory.
- Order Alphabetically (always shown) - This orders the listing by their names in alphabetical order.