WV AHEC Rural Community Health Scholars is a highly selective program offered to only 75 of West Virginia’s top health professions students interested in practicing in rural or underserved communities.
Health professions students in the following areas are eligible to apply:
- Dentistry and Dental Hygiene
- Exercise Physiology
- Health Informatics and Information Management
- Medicine(Osteopathic, Family, OBGYN, etc.)
- Nurse Practitioner and Nursing
- Physical Therapy
- Physician Assistant
- Public/Population Health Programs
- Radiologic Technology and Science Sonography
- Social Work
- And more (contact us if your discipline is not listed)
Students interested in applying for this opportunity:
- Should have a current interest in health care for rural and/or underserved communities.
- Must be enrolled in a health professions degree or certificate program with at least two years remaining before degree or program completion.
- Must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA to apply.
- Must be available to participate in 40 hours of online didactic learning and 40 hours of community-based experiential learning annually for two years (beyond your college or school's curricular requirements).
- Must be willing to respond to Scholars Coordinator inquiries on an annual basis upon program completion, as RCH Scholars staff will request updates about your practice location and professional activities.