Rural Undergraduate Shadowing in Healthcare
The Rural Undergraduate Shadowing in Healthcare Program (RUSH) is designed to provide participants with a unique experience that offers insight into what it is like to practice a health profession in rural West Virginia. As a RUSHer, you will:
- Shadow a rural practitioner for a total of 20 hours during specific dates agreed upon by the participating practitioner and the student
- Receive mileage reimbursement for shadowing-related travel
- Work with the WVU Institute for Community and Rural Health and the WVU PreHealth Professional Development Office to identify other rural-related programs relevant to your chosen health profession discipline including research and service activities
- Meet one or more times with the PreHealth Professional Development Office to put together your professional school application including guidance on class choice, writing a personal statement, mock interviews, and obtaining a committee letter
- Meet with an admissions counselor in your chosen graduate education field of study to learn about the graduate/professional school application process
- You may also have the chance to participate in an activity with the regional Area Health Education Center (AHEC) during the shadowing experience.
Must be a current WVU student in good academic standing that is planning to pursue a health career with the long-term goal of practicing in rural and/or underserved areas of West Virginia in one of the following disciplines: Medicine-Family Medicine, Medicine-Pediatrics.
Your application packet which includes the completed application form, signed Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) form and training certifications must be received by October 30, 2016. Students will be notified by November 15, 2016 of RUSH program selection. Students selected to participate in the RUSH program MUST provide copies of relevant immunization and health records and sign the appropriate release forms by December 15, 2016. Students that do not provide the required documentation by December 15, 2016 forfeit the opportunity to shadow during this 2016-2017 application period and must reapply next year.
Program Materials (Must be reviewed prior to submitting your application)
Please send the completed application packet including applicant signature by the deadline to:
Brianna Sheppard Willis, PhD, MA
Program Coordinator, WVU Institute for Community and Rural Health
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Dept. of Social and Behavioral Sciences, WVU School of Public Health
PO Box 9009
Morgantown, WV 26506-9009