Image Galleries (New)
If you have a large set of photos, you should first consider adding these to your social media pages. While it is possible to create an Image Gallery page in Umbraco, our website traffic reports consistently show little to no activity on Image Gallery pages. Creating/adding them to social media pages is the most effective place for these images and audiences are much more likely to actively engage them. Placing your images on social media not only provides opportunity for more traffic to come to your website, but also gives our website analytics system more data. To discuss what avenue is right for your photo gallery, contact David Ryan.
In the event that social media is not the best route, Umbraco has an option to add photo galleries. This should be the alternative to posting on social media, not the first option. To discuss what avenue is right for your photo gallery, contact David Ryan.
Creating an Image Gallery #
Not all websites have the Image Gallery page turned on. If your website does not, email CMS Desk to start the process of getting it added to your website.
Note: Image Galleries must have at least three images defined before the page will be visible to site users. Additionally, Image Galleries can only hold a maximum of eight images.
- Click the Menu/Options Button on the page you want your Image Gallery to live under. You can also right click, then click Create.
- Click Image Gallery.
- After filling in your Page Title, add your first image to the Gallery by clicking on Add an item.
- In the "Image" area, click Click to Upload. Follow the directions for using the Image Cropper Tool and make any necessary or desired adjustments to the image's crops.
- Supply the required "Image Description" text following the Writing Alternative Text guidelines. This text will not appear visually on the page, but will be available to visitors who rely on assistive technology and for circumstances where the image does not load.
- (Optional) Supply a "Caption" for the image. This short bit of text will be displayed over the image. The Caption and Image Description should be different. Unlike the Image Description, the Caption does not necessarily need to describe what the image is depicting.
- For each subsequent image in the Gallery, you can click on the add button and repeat steps 4-6.
- If the set of images you are adding to the website has more than eight images, you will need to create an album on SmugMug. Contact your school's communicator for resources on how to accomplish this. Then, you may include the address to this SmugMug gallery in the "Full Gallery" field.
- (Optional) You may also include supporting content above and below the Image Gallery via the "Content" tab. Here, you can also supply a custom title for the Image Gallery that will appear as a subhead on the page.