Image Galleries (New)
If you have a large set of photos, you should first consider adding these to your social media pages. While it is possible to create an Image Gallery page in Umbraco, our website traffic reports consistently show little to no activity on Image Gallery pages. Creating/adding them to social media pages is the most effective place for these images and audiences are much more likely to actively engage them. Placing your images on social media not only provides opportunity for more traffic to come to your website, but also gives our website analytics system more data. To discuss what avenue is right for your photo gallery, contact David Ryan.
In the event that social media is not the best route, Umbraco has an option to add photo galleries. This should be the alternative to posting on social media, not the first option. To discuss what avenue is right for your photo gallery, contact David Ryan.
Creating an Image Gallery #
Not all websites have the Image Gallery page turned on. If your website does not, email CMS Desk to start the process of getting it added to your website.
Image Galleries must have at least three images defined before the page will be visible to site users. Additionally, an Image Gallery can only hold a maximum of eight images. If there is more than eight images you'd like to add to the website, you will need to create an album on SmugMug. Contact your school's communicator for resources on how to accomplish this. Then, you may include the address to this SmugMug gallery in the "Full Gallery" field.
- Click the Menu/Options Button on the page you want your Image Gallery to live under. You can also right click, then click Create.
- Click Image Gallery.
- Fill in the Page Title to name your gallery, as you would on any standard Content Page.
Adding Your Images #
- In the "Gallery" section, Click to Create a New Set.
- In the "Image" area, click Click to Upload. Follow the directions for using the Image Cropper Tool and make any necessary or desired adjustments to the image's crops.
- Add the required Image Description, following the Writing Alternative Text guidelines. Note: This text will not appear visually on the page, but will be available to visitors who rely on assistive technology and for circumstances where the image does not load.
- (Optional) Add a "Caption" for the image. This short bit of text will be displayed over the image. The Caption and Image Description should be different. Unlike the Image Description, the Caption does not necessarily need to describe what the image is depicting.
Adding Support Content #
You may also include supporting content above and below the Image Gallery via the "Content" tab. Here, you can also supply a custom title for the Image Gallery that will appear as a Heading on the page.
Sorting Your Images #
To the right of the Image you want to sort, locate the Sort icon. Drag and drop the Image to the desired spot.
Deleting An Image #
- Locate the Image you would like to delete.
- Click the Delete icon.
- You will be prompted with a dialog "Are you sure you want to remove this?". Click OK. Note: This cannot be undone. Be sure you are deleting the correct Image.
Linking to Your SmugMug Gallery #
If you'd like to add more than eight images to the website, you will need to create an album on SmugMug. Once you've created it, put the URL in the "Full Gallery" field. This creates a link to lead people to the full set of images.