Women in Science and Health Award
The Women in Science & Health Awards are sponsored by the Women in Science & Health (WISH) Committee to recognize outstanding achievements and/or impact by women faculty members while at Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center (HSC) of West Virginia University. Both awards are managed by a Subcommittee of WISH. This Subcommittee is responsible for soliciting and evaluating nominations annually and recommending a nominee to the WISH Committee for final approval.
The Mid-Career Award recognizes a woman faculty member at the assistant or associate level who demonstrates sustained exceptional achievements in diversity and inclusion, education and mentorship, research and scholarship, leadership, and service to the state of West Virginia while supporting the WVU HSC mission and WVU values.
The Advanced Career Award recognizes a woman faculty member at the Full Professor level who is recognized on a national and international level and demonstrates sustained exceptional achievements in diversity and inclusion, education and mentorship, research and scholarship, leadership, and service to the state of West Virginia while supporting the WVU HSC mission and WVU values.
Criteria for Selection:
Women who are currently employed or retired members of the HSC are eligible for nomination. Nominations from employees, students, and/or trainees from all HSC schools are encouraged. Self-nominations will be accepted. Members of the WISH Awards Subcommittee are not eligible. To nominate a woman faculty member, please complete the submission form below. Keep in mind that a thorough application will provide the selection committee with ample information for the selection process. Applications are judged on the basis of all criteria so please include examples of nominee’s activities in all categories. Incomplete and late nominations will not be considered.
- Fostering Diversity and Inclusion (e.g., examples of research or service activities addressing the support of minority or under-represented groups in the HSC and/or in the state).
- Education and Mentorship (e.g., didactic and clinical teaching, mentorship that advocates for, guides and supports women in the WVU Health Sciences Center).
- Research and Scholarship (e.g., research agendas, active support of research of others).
- Leadership (e.g., examples of the candidate’s capacity to work creatively & constructively, and across disciplinary boundaries).
- Service to the state of West Virginia while supporting the WVU HSC mission and WVU’s values (i.e., service, curiosity, respect, accountability, appreciation).
Nomination Package Requirements
- Proposed Citation that summarizes the specific achievements upon which the nomination is based. This citation will be used to introduce the awardee at the awards ceremony (up to 100 words).
- Nominator statement including specific justifications of the candidate's suitability for the award with respect to each of the five areas listed above (up to 500 words for each area).
- Curriculum Vitae of the nominee
To nominate or self-nominate a woman faculty member, please use this form.
If you have questions, please contact the WISH Awards Chair, Dr. Marina Galvez at 304-293-1480 or at email@example.com.